Sumikko Gurashi (すみっコぐらし) were characters created by Yuri Yokomizo, a graphic designer working for San-X. The first set of characters were released in 2012. Since then, they became popular in Japan, Asia, United States and the world.
Sumikko Gurashi translates to “life in the corner”. They feel comfortable when in a corner. When they are taken to the center of the room, they always rush back to the corner.
The main Sumikko Gurashi characters are
* Shirokuma - He is a shy polar bear who migrated south to avoid the cold. His best companion is a blanket. He loves drinking hot tea in a corner.
* Penguin? - He is unsure if he is a penguin. Penguin has no confidence.
* Tokage - He is a dinosaur who pretends to be a lizard because he is afraid of being captured.
* Tonkatsu - A piece of leftover pork cutlet which is 1% meat and 99% fat. It was left behind for being too oily.
* Neko - She is a timid and anxious cat who is very chubby and likes to scratch walls. she worries about her body shape.